Skip to main content

Just Snap Out Of It



"What's on your mind?" That's the infamous Facebook prompter for users to update their status. But, what's really on your mind? Would Facebook - and all who follow you - really like to know what's on your mind?

If you haven't guessed it already, this post is about mental health.

I know, it's early in a New Year and this is a heavy topic but it must be talked about. My little random blog is probably not going to make such a drastic change in the world but i'll be sure to discuss real issues and somehow influence you guys in some way to feel comfortable enough to share your thoughts with someone. It's healthy - contrary to the way we were raised, right? In some way, speaking about how you felt was taboo.

I remember my first panic attack. I was seventeen and in a classroom on my laptop. We didn't have a scheduled class at that time, so I think I was playing a game. All my classmates were in their worlds doing whatever and I just burst into tears. Like crying hysterically. I felt like I couldn't breathe or anything. I had to leave school that day and to this day I cannot give a reason as to what I was crying for. Furthermore, I didn't have the slightest clue what anxiety, depression or mental health was.

But, now I have an idea.

Some days you feel like staying in bed all day - but you can't because you have responsibilities. Sometimes you stay in bed all day and it doesn't change how you feel. Sometimes you feel like you can't deal with people today - but that's the day that you attract the most persons. Sometimes you consider running away or even more drastic things like suicide, for some - but it's a toss up, like what if I run away, then what?

On top all these feelings are added frustrations of those that do not understand and just make it worse, to be honest. Some days you just want to be quiet, but everyone around you thinks that you're angry for some reason. Frustrating to say the least. And if you try to explain, the worst thing  a person could say is  "just snap out of it". I wish we were all like Thanos, but that is impossible, lol. Did you catch that slight joke or nah? I'm horrible with the stale ones, oh well......let's get back on track.

Occasionally, I see memes with captions like "don't let one person/thing ruin your day" and I usually roll my eyes because that one person or the thing that they do is probably such a huge emotional trigger and trust me, you would need the rest of the day to get over it, or maybe longer.

The thing is, I think for a lot of millennials, we were never taught emotional intelligence or management. I think a lot of our parents were so caught up in providing things that they didn't have and they assumed that this would make us happier. At least happier than they were as kids. Some of us were taught that we could do anything we wanted. Yes, this was great motivation and made our imaginations and dreams limitless, but y'all forgot to mention how to handle emotions like feeling worthless if you are trying so hard and nothing's really working out - and that my friends, is depressing. (Not your fault though, we understand what y'all were trying to do).

Someone once told me that they don't see the big deal with this 'mental health thing'. I blinked twice because I was trying to figure out whether sis was going through her own lil issues for herself and was trying to put up a front. I couldn't understand how she couldn't understand. What I dislike though, are persons that use mental health issues as an excuse when there are genuine persons with real mental health issues that have to deal with them one way or the other.

For those that have those issues, I know you've heard it all before but:

It's okay to say that you aren't okay. Cut yourself some slack. Take personal days whenever you have to. Put you first and stop feeling guilty about it. Talk to someone you trust even though trusting is hard. Stop being your biggest bully. Stop saying yes when you really want to say no. And start loving yourself the right way.

Not everyday will be sunny, some days we'll need a raincoat. Support your friends and family guys. Check up on them from time to time.


Don't forget to follow me on:
for more content!


See ya in my next post,
Paula J.

Comments

  1. As a big person I realized that what I have had all my life was anxiety. I accept it and know how to deal with it and what situations bring it on. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has to be the most relatable post on this blog thus far. Great tips that I'll actually follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it goes! Thanks for your kind comment!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Wanderlust, The Series Continues

" Travel makes you modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world, " - Gustav Flaubert. Dear Wanderlust, The series continues....... Meet Kelsey and her beautiful daughter! Last time your eyes were glued to this blog, you read about a daring, young woman who gave her life wings and travelled all the way to Spain from a tiny speck on the world map, known as Trinidad. Now moving there on your own is a whole experience in itself, but what if you moved with your immediate family too? Would that make you feel less homesick with them there? Let's find out in this interview with Kelsey, who moved to Vietnam - from Trinidad -  with her family. Yes, you read that correctly. V I E T N A M. 1. Location: Q. Where are you from originally and where did you move to? A. I was born and raised on the beautiful island of Trinidad and Tobago. As far as places to be born, T&T is as good as it gets. However, for a year now, my family and I have

Tutorial: DIY Emoji Piñata

I made a piñata for a family event and decided I should share the process with you guys! So here's a quick guide on how to make a piñata for yourself! Now I am by no means a professional DIYer, but at least I can say that I tried! You'll need: A pair of scissors Tape/ Glue Cardboard or any type of sturdy material for the piñata itself Treats/Goodies Tissue/Kite/Crepe Paper (any paper of your choice) Step 1: Prep Cut the cardboard into two circles and some strips for the sides. The size of the circles depends on how large you would like the piñata to be. Similarly for the strips, the length depends on the circle's size. You'd have to make sure that the strip/s can go around, just about the entire circle. You'll see why a little further down. Read on! Step 2: Making the Frame   Now you'd have to tape up the strip for around the circle. A trick is to tape the cardboard strip up on the sides first (vertically) so that i