Skip to main content

Journey to Body Positivity



So you may have seen a couple posts by some of your Facebook friends with throwback images of themselves from about 10 years ago. I also shared one on my FB but it was from 2011, because I couldn't find an earlier image. I got a lot of comments....mostly with persons in shock that I was 'thin' and probably even more so in comparison with my present physique. Some days I care about what they think. But then some days I wonder, who the hell are they?! Like seriously, who are they? Stop thinking about what other people have to say or think about you. You would be trapped and held back from being the best you that you can be. I recently started thinking that way and it's so freeing, just being yourself, honestly.

This year i'm proclaiming self-love and whatever I have to do to achieve that, I will do. No excuses.

Story Time:


I joined this really cool class guys! It's called the #IAMMovement!



Find them here.

I found them on Facebook actually and was sold from what I read about the movement from the jump. It's basically a dance class for women, but with such an amazing twist! THE CLASS IS ABOUT EMBRACING YOUR BODY! First, I was in awe and really wanted to go, but then I started finding excuses to not go. This is a usual with me. I am awkwardly shy when meeting new people, at first and then they'd probably think I have another persona or something the next time we meet.

Fast Forward....I was now sitting in the dance studio among a number of women of different ages and we're about to do an activity.

The activity was basically writing down compliments about each person and placing them in a cute mason jar by their chair. You didn't have to write your name on the pieces of paper so it was easier to say whatever nice things you wanted the person know. The best part was reading all the compliments that I got. Even though the compliments were things we probably take for granted on a daily basis, I was speechless and damn near cried. Thank God I wasn't called on to read mine aloud! I would've burst into tears! Sometimes you think really negatively about yourself and when you look in the mirror, what you see is not necessarily what others see.

Let me tell you some of the compliments I got in my jar and what I thought about them:

1.You have a quiet confidence about you - LOL, this is definitely my shyness at play here.

2. Nice hair and pretty lips - First of all, thanks. 4C hair is super underappreciated and I love that you noticed! And I thought my lips were really dry....see how these compliments work!

3.Thinker, Smart, Studious - Shyness again, but I receive this compliment!

And there were more, but let's get to the dancing!

We were taught some choreography from a very professional and poised instructor and danced and laughed the evening away!

 In the studio, there was a sign that read "dance like no one's watching". Even if you're super self-concious, those feelings will definitely change by the class' end and you'll definitely be dancing like there aren't others sharing the room with you!

I am going back again for sure!

I just have one question. What are you doing next Tuesday between 6.00 - 8.00 p.m?

Don't forget to follow me on:
for more content! 

See ya in my next post,
Paula J.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Wanderlust, The Series Continues

" Travel makes you modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world, " - Gustav Flaubert. Dear Wanderlust, The series continues....... Meet Kelsey and her beautiful daughter! Last time your eyes were glued to this blog, you read about a daring, young woman who gave her life wings and travelled all the way to Spain from a tiny speck on the world map, known as Trinidad. Now moving there on your own is a whole experience in itself, but what if you moved with your immediate family too? Would that make you feel less homesick with them there? Let's find out in this interview with Kelsey, who moved to Vietnam - from Trinidad -  with her family. Yes, you read that correctly. V I E T N A M. 1. Location: Q. Where are you from originally and where did you move to? A. I was born and raised on the beautiful island of Trinidad and Tobago. As far as places to be born, T&T is as good as it gets. However, for a year now, my family and I have

Tutorial: DIY Emoji Piñata

I made a piñata for a family event and decided I should share the process with you guys! So here's a quick guide on how to make a piñata for yourself! Now I am by no means a professional DIYer, but at least I can say that I tried! You'll need: A pair of scissors Tape/ Glue Cardboard or any type of sturdy material for the piñata itself Treats/Goodies Tissue/Kite/Crepe Paper (any paper of your choice) Step 1: Prep Cut the cardboard into two circles and some strips for the sides. The size of the circles depends on how large you would like the piñata to be. Similarly for the strips, the length depends on the circle's size. You'd have to make sure that the strip/s can go around, just about the entire circle. You'll see why a little further down. Read on! Step 2: Making the Frame   Now you'd have to tape up the strip for around the circle. A trick is to tape the cardboard strip up on the sides first (vertically) so that i

Just Snap Out Of It

"What's on your mind?" That's the infamous Facebook prompter for users to update their status. But, what's really on your mind? Would Facebook - and all who follow you - really like to know what's on your mind? If you haven't guessed it already, this post is about mental health. I know, it's early in a New Year and this is a heavy topic but it must be talked about. My little random blog is probably not going to make such a drastic change in the world but i'll be sure to discuss real issues and somehow influence you guys in some way to feel comfortable enough to share your thoughts with someone. It's healthy - contrary to the way we were raised, right? In some way, speaking about how you felt was taboo. I remember my first panic attack. I was seventeen and in a classroom on my laptop. We didn't have a scheduled class at that time, so I think I was playing a game. All my classmates were in their worlds doing whatever and I just