Skip to main content

2 Tips to Make Work More Enjoyable


I genuinely believe that at some point in time, you'd be tired of your desk, your cubicle, your office or wherever you work - even if it's a job that you enjoy doing. I think so because tasks usually become monotonous and especially so in places where there is no mobility or even a workplace culture or environment that endorses creativity and critical thinking.

Here are two tips that will help you make work more enjoyable.

1. Start a Club.

I remember being in so many clubs in school and being a part of other groups that filtered into my identity, today. So one day - while working in the job i'm currently at - I decided I should start a Birthday Club. This was fairly simple to do. I put a 'Sign Up' sheet on the Notice Board for those who would've liked to join and I set a monthly membership fee. How it works is basically that if there are one or more persons in a said month, we'll purchase a cake and ice cream with the funds (which is shared among all the members) and the birthday person/s receive/s a present as well.

To make this simple, a price was set for presents and suggestions from the birthday person were taken for gifts that they'd like.

I also ran a Christmas Club last year which was pretty fun as well! It was super rewarding to see my colleagues enjoying their gifts and super gratifying to see them actually using them too!

2. Set Up Some Fun Activities.

Seasonal raffles/draws and games among coworkers is a fun way of adding some excitement to your job. You can pick a range of numbers (e.g. 1-100) and you and your colleagues can essentially contribute by purchasing a number. You would have to properly record which colleague bought which number.

All the money collected from the raffle will go to the prizes. We usually do hampers as prizes with random snacks and other items that persons will enjoy. When the draw date comes around, you can have the numbers placed in a box/jar/container and have your colleagues draw the winning numbers.
Keeping it simple is the best way to go. We usually draw three numbers and those will be the three winners. To build suspense, the first number drawn is 3rd place, second is 2nd (of course) and the third number drawn is 1st place.

The key is to keep it seasonal so that it'll be kind of exciting. So Christmas or any cool holiday that comes up is always a good reason to play!

Bonus Tip: Another cool option i'll be trying soon is a Throwback game that entails your coworkers submitting baby pictures of themselves. Colleagues can guess which baby is which of their coworkers and whoever gets all (or the most) correct guesses wins a prize. You can even do smaller prizes for categories like 'Cutest Baby' or 'Funniest Baby Picture'. You can customize the activity whichever way is best suited for your work environment and colleagues.

I understand that not everyone has a work environment that allows for "fun" to happen, but how do you guys keep work interesting? Let me know in the comments!

Don't forget to follow me on:
for more content!

 See ya in my next post,
 Paula J.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Wanderlust, The Series Continues

" Travel makes you modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world, " - Gustav Flaubert. Dear Wanderlust, The series continues....... Meet Kelsey and her beautiful daughter! Last time your eyes were glued to this blog, you read about a daring, young woman who gave her life wings and travelled all the way to Spain from a tiny speck on the world map, known as Trinidad. Now moving there on your own is a whole experience in itself, but what if you moved with your immediate family too? Would that make you feel less homesick with them there? Let's find out in this interview with Kelsey, who moved to Vietnam - from Trinidad -  with her family. Yes, you read that correctly. V I E T N A M. 1. Location: Q. Where are you from originally and where did you move to? A. I was born and raised on the beautiful island of Trinidad and Tobago. As far as places to be born, T&T is as good as it gets. However, for a year now, my family and I have

Tutorial: DIY Emoji Piñata

I made a piñata for a family event and decided I should share the process with you guys! So here's a quick guide on how to make a piñata for yourself! Now I am by no means a professional DIYer, but at least I can say that I tried! You'll need: A pair of scissors Tape/ Glue Cardboard or any type of sturdy material for the piñata itself Treats/Goodies Tissue/Kite/Crepe Paper (any paper of your choice) Step 1: Prep Cut the cardboard into two circles and some strips for the sides. The size of the circles depends on how large you would like the piñata to be. Similarly for the strips, the length depends on the circle's size. You'd have to make sure that the strip/s can go around, just about the entire circle. You'll see why a little further down. Read on! Step 2: Making the Frame   Now you'd have to tape up the strip for around the circle. A trick is to tape the cardboard strip up on the sides first (vertically) so that i

Just Snap Out Of It

"What's on your mind?" That's the infamous Facebook prompter for users to update their status. But, what's really on your mind? Would Facebook - and all who follow you - really like to know what's on your mind? If you haven't guessed it already, this post is about mental health. I know, it's early in a New Year and this is a heavy topic but it must be talked about. My little random blog is probably not going to make such a drastic change in the world but i'll be sure to discuss real issues and somehow influence you guys in some way to feel comfortable enough to share your thoughts with someone. It's healthy - contrary to the way we were raised, right? In some way, speaking about how you felt was taboo. I remember my first panic attack. I was seventeen and in a classroom on my laptop. We didn't have a scheduled class at that time, so I think I was playing a game. All my classmates were in their worlds doing whatever and I just