Skip to main content

Dear Wanderlust, Part 3

I recently got candid with another Trini wanderlust, Dareece, whose dreams led her to Ecuador! Let's get into this new 'Dear Wanderlust' post before I babble too much:

Let's meet her:

My name is Dareece Polo; don’t you sometimes wish you could just stop there, without the additional titles? Anyway, I am a 24-year-old journalist currently employed as an Assistant Programme Editor with teleSUR English in Quito, Ecuador. I am also a freelance Content Producer for Loop TT. In my spare time, what little I do have, I like to look at series, reality t.v. shows, read or anything that peaks my interest. At the moment, I’m discovering what I actually like to do. 

Q1. What made you want to become a reporter? Did you always know that it was something you wanted to do?

A1. I didn’t actually ‘want’ to become a reporter. I wanted to become a psychologist because I was inspired by a cousin to pursue that course of study. Also, I felt like everyone was coming to me with their problems, so why not get paid for it? But, that cousin advised me to take a shot at Journalism and from the very first course at COSTAATT - Ethics in Journalism and Public Relations - I was sold.

Q2. Was it always a goal of yours to become an international/regional reporter or are you just going along with the opportunities that present themselves to you?
A2. I always strive to be anything but mediocre but I sometimes have doubts about myself. Interestingly enough, I aspired to reach the pinnacle of my career which would mean working for a well-recognised international company. Whether I thought that would truly happen is a different story. So yes, in a sense, it has always been a goal of mine.




Q3. Was migrating to Ecuador difficult?

A3. The most difficult thing about migrating was leaving my grandmother and the rest of my family behind but I knew I needed to make a sacrifice in order to eventually be a greater asset to my loved ones. Unfortunately, my fears were actualised when my grandmother passed away, one month after I got here. Aside from that, I have no distractions or obstacles in Trinidad and Tobago that would have prevented me from pursuing my dreams. I completed my BA in Mass Communications in December 2018, I’m single and unafraid, the perfect recipe for flight.

Q4. Did you have help to settle into your new life or did you do it alone?

A4. I had moral support since my former Head of News works here as well but for the most part, I did this on my own.

Q5. Describe how you felt while boarding the plane to Ecuador. Were you more nervous than excited etc.?
A5. I was exhausted. There was no excitement. I moved out of my apartment at the last minute, ran around like a headless chicken trying to purchase US and I tried to spend the last couple hours with my grandmother. That time was spent packing. When I got on the first flight to Panama, I was weary. The nerves kicked in on the flight from Panama to Ecuador.




Q6. What do you miss about Trinidad most?

A6. FOOD, food, FoOd, FOOOOOOOOOOOD!! Gosh, the food! I also miss my family and friends and the overall warmth of the people.

Q7. What are some of the noticeable differences between Trinidad and Tobago and Ecuador?

A7. It’s definitely a different culture: people stare at you, perhaps because I live in a “rich” area and I’m black; racism is more prominent here than in T&T; strangers greet you with a kiss on the cheek. There was definitely a period of adjustment because we only hug and kiss people we like. 

Q8. What is your favourite Ecuadorian slang to say, what does it mean and why do you like it so much?

A8. Slang? LOL, I don’t know any Ecuadorian slang. FYI, I don’t know or speak much spanish. I only know un pequito. 
Image showing Ecuadorian food.

Q9. What is the food like? Is there a major difference in the taste from your home country to the one you reside in now?

A9. I think the food has too much salt and sweet things aren’t sweet enough. They’re also big on sea food and soup. I’m not the world’s greatest sea food lover and I hate soup so I am out of my element. Their burgers are definitely better than ours. We win with everything else. 




Q10. What is the weirdest thing you ate and what’s a good spot to go to for good food in Ecuador?

A10. I had something called Cazuela and girl, I’m not even sure what it consisted of except for shrimp and chicken.

Q11. What was the most surprising thing you did or saw on your journey so far? 

A11. Umm, I can’t say, lol! 

Q12. What was the weather like when you first arrived and how did you adapt?

A12. It was cold and it’s still cold. This country never has summer, they only have fall weather. I was prepared, though, as I vacationed in the US during winter.

Q13. Did you attend any local shows or concerts? How does it compare to a Trini fete?

A13. NOTHING can compare to a Trini fete. I went to clubs, they played only a couple dancehall songs. Everything else is techno or espanol.

Q14.What’s the difference in music like?

A14. If they played salsa, meringue or reggaeton only, I would be happy. (Reggaeton is fire btw). But, they play some variations of that and I don’t like it. I love soca so I keep trying to find that sound in the music I hear, unsuccessfully. 

Q15. What things are in style there that may not be so popular here?

A15. They (the women) wear platform sneakers and they’re not big on bright colours. The men wear ridiculously tight pants...ridiculously tight.

                                                                                                      Q16. How do you get around? Taxis, buses, trains?

A16. There are trains here but I’ve never used them. People use buses which go for 25cents and 30 cents. I use taxis which run on a meter or I take an uber or cabify. In this country, those apps don’t need your credit card info, you can pay with cash.






Q17. What is public transportation like? (If you used this).

A17. Buses are insane. They don’t stop to pick up passengers. It’s almost like you’re running into a moving vehicle, lmao.

Q18. What was your favourite place that you’ve visited so far in Ecuador?

A18. The only tourist place I’ve visited thus far is mitad del mundo which translates to the middle of the world. Ecuador is actually in the middle of the world and the name means equator which separates the south from the north. Visiting the actual point was pretty cool. I got a stamp in my passport, not sure if I spoiled it though ahahaha.

Q19. What is one touristy thing you would recommend doing if someone from Trinidad visits Ecuador?

A19. Visit Papallacta (a spa that’s beautiful), the Amazon (they have pink dolphins and huge trees among other crazy animals), Gallapagos Islands (like down D Islands but with a lot of exotic wildlife), Banos, the Coast.

Q20. What housing options were you able to choose from? And did you live with anyone? If yes, how was it at first compared to now?

A20. I live on the sixth floor of an apartment building. It’s different...you NEED a key to use the elevator otherwise you will not be able to get to your floor. That makes it very secure as your card only works for the floor you live on. I occasionally have company because it’s the company flat until I find my own spot. I HATE living with people.

Q21. How do cellphones work there? Are there similar networks like the ones we have here?

A21. Internet is extremely expensive and data doesn’t last long. The internet is horrible, actually. Apart from that, cell phones work as they would in any other country.

Q22. What’s the most common thing the locals asked you about?

A22. Where [are] you from?

Q23. Were there any expenses you weren’t expecting?

A23. Tuh! Rent is different here. Landlords expect first month, last month and a deposit which is the full monthly cost. So if it’s US$500 for an apartment per month, multiply that by three. The work VISA also included more costs than I bargained for. 

Q24. How did you deal with homesickness?

A24. I cook our food.

Q25. Did you experience any jet lag? If yes, give us some tips for dealing with that.

A25. Not really because jet lag is usually as a result of travelling to a different time zone. This country is only one hour behind from Trinidad. Either way, my advice to anyone suffering from jet lag is to try to pattern your sleep to the actual time zone you’re in… stay up until it’s night time if you can.

Q26. How are you different? How are you the same since you’ve lived abroad?

A26. I think I’m much of the same. I honestly don’t see any real difference except for the way people in Trinidad perceive me.

Q27. What advice would you give to young persons who’d like to chase their dreams and it may lead them to another country?

A27. The world is much bigger than Trinidad and Tobago  and you don’t need to be shackled by that glass ceiling. Geography is a mindset. You can live anywhere, you can do anything, you can be alone. Take it as an opportunity to discover self. Let life take you on an incredible journey that is borderless. It’s the only way to live!

Q28. What advice do you have for immersing yourself in a new language?

A28. My advice is to find someone who speaks your language and learn little by little daily. Download a translator and try to speak as little of your native tongue as possible. Language appears to be a barrier but for the most part, their are other indicators for communication. Body language plays an important role in me communicating with non-english speaking people as well.

Q29. What advice would you give to a young person that wants to leave home but might be afraid of living alone?

A29. You’ll never know what you’re made of if you continue to cocoon yourself in safety net. Challenge yourself and thank me later.

Q30. Is there anything you would like to add that that has not been asked?

A30. I love my country and I don’t think we, as Trinidadians, understand how amazing we have it. I’m working on a project called Dear Trinidad and Tobago where I will be identifying things that I appreciate about my country and how it compares to living here. Stay tuned.


- End-

Thanks Dareece for not only participating in this Dear Wanderlust Series but for also being so sincere about your experiences. Without a doubt, I am sure that your story will inspire someone to at least chase their dreams!

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing your journey things with us, I hope you like the meet and greet at Manchester airport service which provide best kind of services.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Wanderlust, The Series Continues

" Travel makes you modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world, " - Gustav Flaubert. Dear Wanderlust, The series continues....... Meet Kelsey and her beautiful daughter! Last time your eyes were glued to this blog, you read about a daring, young woman who gave her life wings and travelled all the way to Spain from a tiny speck on the world map, known as Trinidad. Now moving there on your own is a whole experience in itself, but what if you moved with your immediate family too? Would that make you feel less homesick with them there? Let's find out in this interview with Kelsey, who moved to Vietnam - from Trinidad -  with her family. Yes, you read that correctly. V I E T N A M. 1. Location: Q. Where are you from originally and where did you move to? A. I was born and raised on the beautiful island of Trinidad and Tobago. As far as places to be born, T&T is as good as it gets. However, for a year now, my family and I have

Tutorial: DIY Emoji Piñata

I made a piñata for a family event and decided I should share the process with you guys! So here's a quick guide on how to make a piñata for yourself! Now I am by no means a professional DIYer, but at least I can say that I tried! You'll need: A pair of scissors Tape/ Glue Cardboard or any type of sturdy material for the piñata itself Treats/Goodies Tissue/Kite/Crepe Paper (any paper of your choice) Step 1: Prep Cut the cardboard into two circles and some strips for the sides. The size of the circles depends on how large you would like the piñata to be. Similarly for the strips, the length depends on the circle's size. You'd have to make sure that the strip/s can go around, just about the entire circle. You'll see why a little further down. Read on! Step 2: Making the Frame   Now you'd have to tape up the strip for around the circle. A trick is to tape the cardboard strip up on the sides first (vertically) so that i

Just Snap Out Of It

"What's on your mind?" That's the infamous Facebook prompter for users to update their status. But, what's really on your mind? Would Facebook - and all who follow you - really like to know what's on your mind? If you haven't guessed it already, this post is about mental health. I know, it's early in a New Year and this is a heavy topic but it must be talked about. My little random blog is probably not going to make such a drastic change in the world but i'll be sure to discuss real issues and somehow influence you guys in some way to feel comfortable enough to share your thoughts with someone. It's healthy - contrary to the way we were raised, right? In some way, speaking about how you felt was taboo. I remember my first panic attack. I was seventeen and in a classroom on my laptop. We didn't have a scheduled class at that time, so I think I was playing a game. All my classmates were in their worlds doing whatever and I just